Monday, October 6, 2008

Tweetering...?

Maybe I'm just slumped more deeply than usual in my Crotchety Old Broad mode, but it's occurred to me more than once recently that if I actually wanted to read someone's Twitter posts, I'd actually get a Twitter account of my own and subscribe or whatever to that person's tweets, right there on Twitter itself. I'm not reading them there because I don't particularly want to read them.

The folks who've posted their Twitter IDs and invited people to tweet with them are very friendly and I appreciate that, even if I've chosen not to take part; I have no problem with the vast majority of Twitter-people. But considering the remaining small fraction, what's the underlying assumption behind posting a day's worth of Twitterings in your blog or journal every day? "Hey, I'll bet there are a bunch of people out there who inexplicably haven't joined Twitter themselves but are just dying to read my tweets anyway!"

o_O

These are folks whose (regular -- more than eight-word-long) blog or journal posts I do enjoy reading, which is why I'm seeing their Twitter posts. I don't want to unsubscribe them. And yes, they can post whatever they want in their own blogs or journals and my only option is to read or not read; I get that, and approve very heartily of the principle. Still, I wish I understood what the point of all this was. [sigh]

Angie, who's been skipping a lot more posts lately

5 comments:

laughingwolf said...

perfect, angie :D

Charles Gramlich said...

I've not joined twitter because I don't get it. I see the purpose of blogs to express ideas and thoughts but I don't really care either what anyone else is doing at every moment of their day.

Angie said...

Laughingwolf -- thanks. :)

Charles -- I don't really get it either. Some people seem to be using it as a chat service rather than strictly a "What are you doing?" thing, but other people's chat logs are rarely entertaining either, so.... [shrug] No clue.

Angie

Steve Malley said...

I plan to look in on Twitter, but right now I'm sooooo busy, waiting on those funds that Nigerian family promised to deposit in my account!

Angie said...

Steve -- but right now I'm sooooo busy, waiting on those funds that Nigerian family promised to deposit in my account!

Let us know how that turns out for you, 'kay? :D

Angie