Friday, December 18, 2009

A Christmas Funny

So I'm flying back up to Reno to spend a little over a week with my mom for Christmas, yay.

A funny thing -- about ten or twelve years ago, we were at Mom's for Christmas and a family friend named Linda was supposed to come over. So I got her a couple of glass candle holders as a gift; they were popular at the time, with a narrow well in the middle you filled with water and then floated a taper in, the idea being that as it burned down, it'd get lighter and float higher in the water, keeping the flame at about the same level. I thought they were pretty, so anyway.

Well, Linda didn't come after all, so I had these two candles in boxes like twenty inches long by six square, which I took home. I figured I'd use them or something, so when I got home I unwrapped them and stuck them on top of a bookcase. We're not really into decorative stuff, though, so I never did use them, and they've been sitting there ever since, collecting dust on their boxes. We've been trying to figure out what to do with them recently, with the move coming up and all.

Then we got a note from Mom a couple of days ago, saying that her friend Linda's going to be coming up for Christmas. :D Hey, I've got a present for her already! LOL! Too bad I unwrapped them back then....

Angie

10 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

Have a lovely Reno visit, and Merry Christmas! I think the gift thing was kismet.

Charles Gramlich said...

YEAH, that was a waste of good wrapping paper. Should have just saved 'em as is. If you could have remembered what they were. :)

Angie said...

WW -- thanks, hon! You too! :D

Charles -- exactly, LOL! 20/20 hindsight, definitely. :D

Angie

Bernita said...

One of those things that make one say "Heh!"

Angie said...

Bernita -- seriously. One of those things that comes back around so perfectly, it'd feel a little fake in a story. :)

Angie

laughingwolf said...

lol... merry xmas to you and yours, angie :)

Angie said...

LW -- thanks, hon! You too! :D

Angie

Steve Malley said...

I'm trying to imagine what the wrapping paper would have looked like after ten years on a shelf. ONly problem, in my mind it's this weird, Victorian-era paper: almost linen when it was new, now brown and brittle and crumbling with the weight of its years.

Oh, and the candlesticks have an elaborate brass clockwork mechanism to keep the tapers at the same height...

(shakes head)

Hey! You just commented on my blog! We musta crossed!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Steve Malley said...

I'm trying to imagine what the wrapping paper would have looked like after ten years on a shelf. ONly problem, in my mind it's this weird, Victorian-era paper: almost linen when it was new, now brown and brittle and crumbling with the weight of its years.

Oh, and the candlesticks have an elaborate brass clockwork mechanism to keep the tapers at the same height...

(shakes head)

Hey! You just commented on my blog! We musta crossed!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Angie said...

Steve and Steve -- LOL! Looks like I was typing on your blog while you were typing on mine. :D

It wasn't quite that long ago for the paper to have been brown, but now I have this mental image of steampunk candlesticks.... [unfocused ponder]

Merry Christmas back! {{}}

Angie