Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Teenager Develops Possible Cancer Cure

You know, if anyone wrote a book about this girl, it'd be labelled pure genre -- fantastical, unrealistic, a popcorn sort of story. But it's real. Angela Zhang won a $100,000 prize in a science competition for her project, "Design of Image-guided, Photo-thermal Controlled Drug Releasing Multifunctional Nanosystem for the Treatment of Cancer Stem Cells." Wow. Check out the article on TheMarySue.

As someone in comments over there said, this is potential Nobel Prize stuff. Not bad for someone who's not old enough to vote yet. Heck, I'd let her vote!

What's weirdly cool about this is that she goes to my little brother's old high school -- Monta Vista in Cupertino. (Not mine, though -- we moved right after I graduated, and he's seven years younger than I am.)

Anyway, I'll just get back to, umm, writing my urban fantasy novel. Yeah.

Seriously, though, massive kudos to Angela Zhang, from another Angela who'll never make half as much of an impact on the world. Props, hon.

Angie

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

how excellent! There is hope for the future.

Angie said...

Charles -- seriously! This young woman is massively awesome, and I hope there are a lot more like her out there.

Angie