Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Paperbacks, And Another Captive Magic Review

Paperback editions of Captive Magic are available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble, although B&N still doesn't have the electronic edition for whatever reason. But anyone who prefers reading hardcopy can get CM in paper now.

==========

Sirius reviewed Captive Magic over at Reviews by Jessewave and seemed to like it a lot, giving it 4.75 out of 5.0. Sirius said:

This book starts slow, in fact for the first five-six chapters I was wondering whether I indeed was reading the book three of the same series, so slow it felt. However as the story progressed the more I thought that the writer made a very wise choice to start slow, because characters were established so clearly that I could see and hear them in my mind. I was especially pleased to see how real supporting characters felt and I loved Breck’s mother and little sister a lot. I thought that giving supporting characters their voices, by describing the neighborhoods where Breck and Manny lived, they acquired more depth. I mean, when I read about the character with firmly established roots, such character becomes much more realistic and believable to me and I thought this was what happened here.

So, bottom line is I have no problems with slow start of the book. When the magical issue both of the guys have to deal with takes more and more priority , the tension slowly increases, because it becomes really important for everybody’s involved to get the creature off Breck’s back and make sure that his sister will not die and as blurb hints Manny is also having problems because of his involvements.

...

I have to say though that while I never doubted the grave consequences for Breck, his sister and Manny for not figuring out how to deal with demon thing, for quite some time while I was reading I did not think that the ethical issues in this book rose to the level of the ending of the second book. I mean who would not have stolen anything in order to save a loved one dying from any illness? Now, if Breck would have been asked to kill in exchange for his sister’s life, that could have been something to wonder whether he would really do it and whether the means are worth the ends. And then BOOM – suddenly the stakes (ethical and others) went up and then the stakes went up again and I completely stopped complaining :)

Thanks to Sirius for a great review! Click through to read the whole thing.

Angie

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Excellent. Always nice to hear some good things about your work. None of us get it enough I suspect.

Angie said...

Charles -- thanks. :) And no, I don't think it's possible to get enough. [wry smile]

Angie

Suzan Harden said...

Yay! They like you!

Angie said...

Suzan -- definitely yay! :D Thanks!

Angie